Saturday, February 25, 2006

Checking out the facilities

We are coming along nicely at about 8 or so weeks now. I have been to see Dr Samuels on Thursday. We had a nice chat about birthing options - I don't think that I have mentioned yet that I am hoping to have a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After cesarean). A lot of people think along the old lines of "Once a caesar, always a caesar" but there has been a lot of change in that area in the last twenty years. I have been doing lots of research so I know all my options. I can probably go into that another day, today I just wanted to talk about my first OB (obstetrician) visit, and the visit to the hospital.

Dr Samuels is a man who looks like he is in his 50's and he has a strange accent that we can't quite place. The best part is that he fully bulk bills all his visits and the ultrasounds. He told me that we can talk about VBACs more when we get closer to 30 weeks. Hopefully this baby won't be posterior (babies back lying against my back) or big (like Josh was). Otherwise it is quite likely that I will have an elective cesarean.

I am booked in for an ultrasound next Wednesday to try and work out dates. They aren't too sure of dates at the moment and they want to nail it down a bit more accurately. I'm not really too fussed about the dates, but I will be very happy to catch an early glimpse of Blob.

Today we took a tour of the Bacchus Marsh Hospital, where we are planning on going this time around. I really wanted a change of scenary from Werribee, plus Bacchus Marsh is a lot quieter, and I am more likely to get a room to myself. They have two birthing suites (with double beds) which look like hotel rooms. They are new rooms built last year. Then there are two labour rooms, which are pretty basic rooms to have the baby in. Then after the baby is born, you spend 24 hours in the birthing suite, then you are moved to the ward. It sounds like a lot of moving around to me, but anyway... Another plus about Bacchus Marsh is you don't have to pay for parking! And it is only 15 minutes drive from our house.

No comments: